[Foundation-l] identity disclosure and access to OTRS/Checkuser

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:16:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Joe writes:
>
> > My reason for asking was from a comment left by Kelly Martin on the
> > Wikipedia Review, where she said, "And Cary routinely makes
> > exceptions to
> > the "must identify to the Foundation" policy, too," which seemed odd.
> >
> > It was such an outrageous comment that I wanted to ask what is
> > checked.
> > Cary, thank you for answering. Is what Greg mentioned he did what
> > happens to
> > all people with private access--do they have to provide a passport,
> > state
> > ID, something like that?
>
> I don't know what Kelly is referring to here. Cary doesn't make
> exceptions, routinely or otherwise, to the identification policy.
> Greg's experience is the norm, and it has been since I came on at the
> Foundation a year ago (one-year anniversary coming up in July!).
>

> --Mike

And, for more than a year since Mike joined WMF, real identification was
demanded of candidates.  I take minor exception to Greg's observation
earlier that only the winner would "really" need to supply ID - the whole
point of this development historically was to discourage an otherwise
unqualified jester from going the entire way through the election process,
getting votes, but not having the legal capacity to act as a board member.
As Danny used to joke, the rule is "we can't have anyone on the board who
needs a permission slip from his mommy."

In meatspace, who you actually are actually matters.

Brad