[Foundation-l] Voting suffrage criteria (established members should be able to vote)

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 15:36:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In short, edit count suffrage requirements, in theory at least, exclude
> legitimate voters, while not excluding people who want to game the system.
>
> -Dan

On the other hand, since the board elections are an internal process, should
it not be limited to active participants? The suffrage is fair in that its
as mentioned incredibly easy to get.

Who should be voting but users of one of the sites that the Board oversees
and employees of the corporation? Certainly not any of the following:

1. Charitable financial contributors
2. "Partners" such as (possibly) Creative Commons people/staff, Answers.com
people, etc.
3. General public
4. ?

It should be somewhat exclusive. I've given to the ASPCA, I've given to the
Democratic party here in the US, I've given to the local library here in my
city. That doesn't give me a board vote on any of those, even though I'm an
active participant to some degree in all three.

scramble their account login. I'd been very, very tempted in the past to do
just that on my EN account, but in hindsight I'm very glad that I never did.

Joe