[Foundation-l] New draft of privacy policy (urgent)

Jesse Plamondon-Willard pathoschild at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 03:45:04 UTC 2008

Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> As to whether users will read it from beginning to end -- well, I
> assume most won't.

I think that is a problem. The policy should clearly and concisely lay
out the policy and be accessible to most readers (not a small
minority), not lengthily explain the philosophy and reasoning behind
the policy. That information should be separate from the policy
content.

After your original draft I proposed such a separation at
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Draft_Privacy_Policy_June_2008#Rewrite>,
a complete policy-only version linking to a second editable
"explanatory material" page. I think this is the ideal solution: we
have a binding easy-to-read privacy policy, as well as the lengthy
explanatory material properly separated from binding policy and
editable by the community.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)