[Foundation-l] New draft of privacy policy

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 19:02:34 UTC 2008

Switching from IPs to randomized or encrypted numerical identifiers strikes
me as a major change at first, but thinking about it and reading Gregory's
rationale I'm not so sure. We could easily implement it so that
administrators automatically see IPs or can convert in one step, meaning
issues of tracking and dealing with vandalism wouldn't apply. I'm sure I'm
missing the other technical and procedural drawbacks - can someone explain
them to me? It'd obviously disable Wikiscanner as a public tool, and it
would more than likely hit the press at some level, but what other
detrimental effects would this change have?

Nathan