[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Fri Jun 13 20:51:48 UTC 2008

My Wikinews user page is fourth on a Google search for my name. I suspect
had I used my full name for my username it would be a position or two
higher.

Know what? This doesn't bother me. I check it from time to time to see where
I've moved to, I'm not going to knock the folk musician Brian McNeill off
the top spot, and I'm always going to have competition with the college
football player who shares the same spelling.

However, this should be a sobering warning for anyone who has an estranged
partner or a dodgy ex. Or, as Birgitte suggests, odd relatives who might
decide to bother you on-wiki. If you're using a derivative of your real name
(I use "brianmc") and not keeping your full name a secret, it takes the
"thrill out of the chase" for the Wikipedia Review trolls. What needs to be
considered is it can bring in a whole new set of potential sources of
problems or issues.

I spent years remaining under a pseudonym on Usenet, something I would
strongly recommend for that medium. I even went as far as using the MIT
nym.alias.net service to ensure nobody could trace where my messages came
from. My posts ranged from helpful to caustic flames, and I felt I could do
so with impunity. This has a strangely liberating effect, you perhaps learn
more about yourself than the other pseudonyms you spar with.

So, I would be opposed to either requiring real names, or to advising use of
pseudonyms. Guidelines for use in either case may be a good call, but there
should be no pressure one way or the other for Wikimedia contributors.

Brian McNeil