[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jun 12 20:38:48 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fully agreed with Ec. Acknowledgjng the license is acknowledging the
>> document in concersn are free: without that, it may be wrongly claimed
>> to be copyrighted, and hindered further distribution. License issue is
>> crucial in my understanding to ensure the knowledge we've accumulated
>> free in the true meaning.
>>
> Not just "may be" wrongly claimed, it IS being wrongly claimed. And as I
> said earlier, not only does that hinder further distribution (because people
> will see copyright symbols and assume  incorrectly that it actually is
> non-free content) but it also hinders further creation of new free works
> when people cannot be adequately assured that their licenses will be
> respected.

This happens more frequently than it should.  Very few modern books
don't have a copyright notice; this includes reprints of old books that
are indisputably in the public domain.  The new copyright only applies
to new material like a new introduction.  It may also apply to
compilations and formatting, but very few publishers are in a hurry to
clarify these limits.

Ec