[Foundation-l] Baidupedia copyvio collections

Ting Chen Wing.Philopp at gmx.de
Wed Jun 11 18:12:00 UTC 2008

> It is an issue of the individuals, because they are the ones whose
> rights have been breached.

This is not that easy. If I contribute for the GNU projects and a company comes and takes the part of code I contributed, builds it in its own software and claim it to be its own property. It is my right that is breached, yes. But the FSF would take the intrest of the project and sue the company.

In this case it is not just a hobby website take our content for his small website. It is a company who purposefully take large quantity of contents from our projects and claim it to be theirs. The quantity of authors that is in this case breached is enomous. It is the duty of the foundation to protect the interest of our community.

Baidu is also sued by the music industry in America because of mp3 issues.

In this case an individual do not have the resource to make the lawsuite, and for an individual from China or Taiwan, whose right is breached, it is almost impossible. If the foundation don't care this matter, it is a shame.

Yours
Ting Chen