[Foundation-l] Stalking, an attempt to clarify.

John Barberio barberio at lineone.net
Wed Jun 11 15:41:05 UTC 2008

gerard.meijssen at gmail.com  wrote:
> There are in my opinion several issues at play. The most important
> one is
> that actual stalking, behaviour with real life threads is an
> observable
> phenomena and there are ample indications that the authorities fail
> to take
> these things seriously. When people are REALLY insistent they get the
> attention that is required. The notion to leave it all to the
> authorities
> leaves our fellow wikimedians that are threatened in this way
> isolated and
> threatened.

The police and the courts are the authorities to deal with real life
threats. Yes, this means it's up to the police to take things
seriously, and sometimes they don't.  Unless you can think of some
other tangible action Wikimedia could possibly take, all they can do
is offer advice and support to victims of stalking, and co-operate
with the authorities in investigation of stalking.

It's hugely important to understand that the Wikimedia foundation has
no ability to take matters into it's own hands to deal with real life
threats. They have no policing powers. At best, they could back people
up when reporting things to the police or making a case for a
restraining order. Wikimedia can neither force the police to take
something seriously, or act as vigilantes and go after the stalkers
themselves.

I think this discussion has detached off into the "The Wiki is it's
own Country" fallacy. The Foundation is not a government, the wikis
are not city states, the 'real world' laws and authorities are still
in primacy. While Stalking and making threats of assault are indeed
problems, it's far beyond the scope of Wikimedia to enforce laws and
remedy's against it. These matters should and must be taken up with
the government authorities of the police and courts. Setting up "Anti-
Stalking Task Forces" and private mailing lists is not only useless,
it's counter productive. Effort should be directed at helping people
with support in contacting the police or getting a court order.

   - John