[Foundation-l] Arabic Wikipedia blocked in Syria

Bassem JARKAS jarkas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 11:13:53 UTC 2008

the problem is not with accessing the site. there is many mirrors, and even
we can access it through https secure website of wikimedia.
but that is not easy for normal users. and most of our visitor come from
google links. which are now blocked.

Could WMF send a letter to the authority in charge of monitoring the web
sites in the syrian government to unlock the site?

Thanks.

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:12 AM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:34 PM, effe iets anders
> <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Forwarding to Wikitech-l, maybe you know more of a solution?
> >
> > -- Lodewijk
> >
> > 2008/5/15, Mohamed Magdy <mohamed.m.k at gmail.com>:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >>  Our Syrian users reported that Arabic Wikipedia access from Syria is
> being
> >>  blocked (reading and editing), the block started since 30/4/2008. The
> rest
> >>  of the languages are working properly. Advanced users can bypass the
> block
> >>  and view and edit (proxies) but the problem is that the majority cannot
> get
> >>  past the block. We don't know the reasons yet for this stupid block. Is
> >>  there anything to be done to help lift the block?
> >>

> >>  --
> >>  --alnokta
> >

> I doubt if they could block all of the mirrors out there. That would
> make for a solution at least for reading, and many mirrors update
> relatively frequently.
>
> --
> Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

Bassem JARKAS