[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 23:49:26 UTC 2008

With all due respect to its participants, I think this discussion has
reached a plateau of usefulness. We've established that there are varying
uses of the word "stalking" with similarly varying definitions. We've
established what serious stalking looks like, and the effects it can have on
our editors and our community. We've established that we are not dealing
with this problem effectively, because of limitations in what we can with
the tools available to us. The Foundation has been asked what resources it
can lend to assist in this area - perhaps silence is the answer we can
expect for the moment.

In order to prevent the traditional devolution of Foundation-l discussions
into irrelevancies, the next step ought to be concrete suggestions regarding
what we can actually do (if anything). If the Foundation can't establish
procedures for handling serious events of stalking, can the community do so
in its stead? What would these procedures look like? Is there enough
community experience and interest for a Wikimedia Stalking Action Group?
Clearly the dispersed and disorganized attempts to deal with stalking in the
past have been inadequate - can that be overcome with increased
centralisation and organization?

Questions that need to be answered, I think, in order to move this
discussion forward.

Nathan