[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Jun 10 18:57:46 UTC 2008

Many, many people who "stalk" do not do so with any intention of meeting you
in real life. Their aim is to make you leave the project, or in their "wet
dream scenario", have a stress-related mental breakdown and become
irrational.

I know this, but not from trolls on-wiki. I spent weeks in hospital because
I became so paranoid that I thought people were following me everywhere.
What prompted this was dealing with my current partner's divorce case. Her
estranged husband was unable to locate where I was, but was able to make
sure I found out he had managed to obtain a firearm. As rumour and innuendo,
the local police did not take this seriously and I started seeing shadows
everywhere. When I got really irrational, my partner was able to convince me
that the ambulance crew that had arrived were, "the angels come to save me".
I spent six weeks in hospital; I'm lucky I'm in Belgium, for people in the
U.S. an experience like that could be financially crippling.

Most of the people commenting on this issue have not experienced anything
like this, or are significantly more stress-resistant than myself. The same
is most definitely not true for all people. Call us "delicate" if you like,
but do not dismiss this as an inability to deal with trolling. I've fought
my corner on Usenet and issued serious flammage, I'd actually recommend
anyone who wants to learn how to deal with online communication spend some
time using the medium. To be honest, one of my pet peeves with Wikipedia is
there isn't enough "nuke 'em till they glow" with unrepentant trolls and the
like.

So, I'm all for some measures to size up and deal with on-wiki harassment
and stalking. I don't know what is needed, but threats to out, outings, and
indications of the possibility of a physical confrontation are unacceptable.

Brian McNeil