[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 09:25:41 UTC 2008

2008/6/10 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> Ray,
> We are talking about people who on or off list threaten others to kill, maim
> and rape. We are talking about people associated with aggressive pov pushing
> and using any means whatsoever to establish their pov. There have been
> several examples given of this behaviour by credible people. Suggesting as
> you do that there is no idea that we are talking about it not where we are
> at.

He is not suggesting that there is no idea what we are talking about,
he is suggesting that it is not clearly defined. And I don't think it
is either.

> When YOU do not know what is being discussed you either read up on it, do
> some research, talk to people involved or keep out of it.

Isn't that exactly what he's doing, talking about people involved?

> Suggesting that
> there is no clarity about such issues is exactly the kind of behaviour that
> makes this situation worse because it leads to more procrastination.

In other words, you suggest we do something about stalking without
first deciding on what is stalking?

> What is
> needed is clarity to what extend the WMF is aware of this situation and what
> involvement it can have, research is needed about the extend this type of
> behaviour DOES affect our project and impacts the NPOV of controversial
> subjects. This research is needed because it will prevent people from
> ignoring or belittling this issue.

It's hard to research the effects of something if you don't have
definitions as to what it is and what it isn't. In my opinion,
bringing up cases and deciding "Yes, this is stalking" and "No, that
is not stalking because..." is more useful than shouting loud that we
should do something about it and that everyone who is not agreeing
with me is a problem.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels