[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 03:37:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan, I feel we've almost left it too late. We currently have a
> situation where several of those involved in some of the stalking
> sites have been promoted to admins,

As you mention below, good admins go to questionable sites sometimes,
oft. in order to do good.  Are there cases where a current admin is
heavily participating in the bad element of a website, assisting in
stalking, outing users, etc?

This is the second time in this thread that doubt is being raised
about admins/crats, without specifics which is annoying but
understandable to a degree; I am concerned.

> .... and many more are regular editors
> who routinely pursue editors they don't like -- via wikistalking,
> RfCs, RfArs, and reports on AN/I -- in order to make their time on
> Wikipedia miserable.
> ----
>
> Have a look at this report.
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Long_term_abuse/JB196

How does this relate to stalking?  I don't see it mentioned on that page.

> Not only was the sheer volume of socking a monumental hassle in itself
> JB196 invented an insidious attack that could be applied to nearly any
> subject.

The same can be said about many editors who make good faith edits to
"fix" a perceived problem; the clued up people do this routinely while
carefully avoiding appearing to be making a "point".

This is problem editing, and entirely the responsibility of the community.

> SirFozzie went to Wikipedia Review to represent a Wikipedian perspective ...

I've only been there a few times, but I can understand people going
there - many have the best of intentions.

--
John