[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Harel Cain harel.cain at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 06:14:59 UTC 2008

I agree with others here that there is a distinction to be made
between a wiki-war gone out of control (where the warring parties
would be long time users, in most cases) and the really nasty cases of
stalking, threats, libelous publications and the like, usually
directed by recently arrived (banned?) users at long time users,
mainly those who blocked them.

I can think of a famous case in hewiki where a very well-known admin
got into a fight with a certain extremist political group and they
posted the most horribly, shockingly defamatory video about him in
response, on Youtube, where I think it exists to that day (mainly
because apparently Youtube admins don't speak Hebrew and disregarded
the dozens of complaints about the video).

I don't think the Foundation can do anything practical to handle this
second type of cases, which are clearly in the legal sphere between
victim, victimizer (and state persecution), and I agree that taking
wiki actions against these cases just downplays them into the wiki
drama (which is too inflated anyway, and which we have to abate, not
encourage). But there has to be a very clear signal coming from the
Foundation that these issues are taken very seriously and will not be
tolerated. It's all on the declaratory sphere, not the practical one.

Harel