[Foundation-l] Wikimedia mouvement

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jun 8 21:40:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>> Hoi,
>> One of the wiki things is that you do NOT have to have your house completely
>> in order, it is ok that you are working on it...
>
> Correct. But I am not suggesting a "wiki movement". I am suggesting that
> the organizations currently dedicated to support the wikimedia projects
> get a publicly visible site where they can explain what they are doing
> to help the wikimedia projects and where they can share practices and
> attract more good will and support.
>

>> When the idea is to improve our WMF communications ... sure ... who is
>> included ? what is the aim ?
>
> The idea I have in mind is not to improve WMF communications (whatever
> this might means). The idea is
> * to explain what we do and how we do it
> * to share ideas and practices amongst ourselves
> * to attract new volunteers

I'm torn between saying "yeah, go for it", and saying "just give more
people access to wikimediafoundation.org".  The main fear with
starting yet another wiki is that it's just going to be another place
that has redundant information which quickly goes out of date and
eventually contradicts information in other wikis.  Having the
information split across different sites also makes searching more
difficult (especially since adding the word "+wikimedia" to a google
search barely excludes anything).

Anthony