[Foundation-l] Board vote, need a bit of help

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 19:03:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If
>> the latter, this could happen with the Schulze method as well.  People
>> might rank one candidate "1" and leave all the rest blank.  There
>> wouldn't be a strategic reason to do this (would there?), but it still
>> might happen.
>
> I'd love to see stats on that. My bet is that a many will rank only a
> few,  because of lacking patience, or a belief that they are helping
> their primary choices win like on an  approval vote. ::shrugs::
>
> One improvement might be to force people to rank all the candidates
> (not uniquely rank, just rank).  I'm sure some would give up voting if
> they couldn't just put a "1" next to their favorite, but would biasing
> the election towards the choices of people who are more patient be all
> that bad? ;)

So I ranked the people I had an opinion about, and then for the
remaining candidates that I do not particularly want to be board
members, I didn't try to figure out their relative position to one
another but just left them unranked, since I thought that would mean
they are all ranked as "equally low preference -- do not want" by the
software. The directions sort of indicated that is what to do.

However, you're saying that it's better if all choices are ranked,
even if I give several people a "99" by hand? Or should I take the
time to uniquely rank them? I'm not sure I understand why that's
better given the outcome I want, which is for none of those people to
become board members.

It will be interesting to see if a bunch of foundation-l readers
revote after this thread :)
-- phoebe