[Foundation-l] Commons Usurp issue

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:38:59 UTC 2008

>> CC-BY-SA 3.0 requires.  "The name of the Original Author (or
>> pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied"
>>
>> So we are slightly stuck with using the pseudonym supplied.

Pseudonym does not have to equal username. Special:Preferences used to
contain fields for "nickname" (now signature) and "real name" (still
in MediaWiki but hidden on Wikipedia). The login form used to say if
you want attribution for your work then this "real name" field would
be used. The history could simply give that instead of a username.

Links ought to point to a unique identifier not to a username which
could be changed. This would also ensure that third parties using
Wikipedia content who want to attribute authors via a link to their
user page were always linking to the right place, even after a rename.

Angela