[Foundation-l] Unable to vote

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:07:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> I think we should in the future do away with edit-based suffrage
> requirements in favor of something else.  First, being an editor with N
> edits is hardly what we are really looking for... what we are looking
> for is "responsible people actually associated with our community".
> Second, there are many of those people who, like Austin or some of the
> developers, are unable to vote because they have been doing other
> incredibly useful stuff.
>
> I would almost go so far as to say that suffrage should go to project
> admins, completely ignoring edit count.

I like this idea. I imagine some kind of "invitational" system. We
start with a set of people who are guaranteed eligible (current admins
might be a good start). People who are eligible can invite any number
of other editors to be eligible also. This way, eligibility propagates
exponentially through the community. Necessary in this kind of scheme
is some way to weed out the obvious sockpuppets and bozos, of course.

With Jimmy, this is just a first idea for me too, and we have a year
to think of better ones.

--Andrew Whitworth