[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia-wide global blocking mechanism?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Jan 31 20:54:15 UTC 2008

I'm afraid there seems to be an assumption that people with Checkuser are
looking to apply their cultural norms to other wikis. This isn't the case,
and I suspect most of the other CheckUser people would oppose expanding this
idea of global blocking in that way.

It has now been nearly two weeks since I blocked an IP address on
en.wikinews for a year. Checkuser revealed a long history of Willy on Wheels
type usernames, all responsible for vandalism. When the same IP cropped up
on several wikis it seemed logical to do a cross-wiki block. To do the whole
nine yards is a mammoth task, and the people who have to do this are asking
for a tool to make it easier.

Yes, there is a concern that making this easy will make it occur more
frequently, but that is - I think - a risk worth taking.

Brian McNeil