[Foundation-l] A fork of "Wikimedia-wide global blocking mechanism?"

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 20:50:01 UTC 2008

> You do realise the head of the translator committee is banned from
> ja:wp due to personal disagreements? Communities have attacks of
> batshit insane, and that's too much power to hand to one project.

Yes, and did you read my email a little bit more careful? :)

Andres:
- en.wp lifted ban under pressure of its own community.
- If they didn't do that, they would have to do that after implementing SUL.
- If they knew that their decision would affect all other wikis, they
wouldn't be so crazy to do that.

About en-wpization of the community: This is just an unreasonable
fear. Some of very important en-Wikipedians didn't pass even voting
for adminship on Meta. Policy like this would initiate much more
participation of member of a lot of different Wikimedian projects into
Meta issues.

> A logical extension of Milos' proposal could arise if someone
> persistently insisted on pushing a Serbian POV on hr:wp.  The Croatians
> would become very annoyed with this until that individual met one of the
> criteria which Milos suggests.  They would block him, and the logical
> consequence would then be that he should also be blocked on sr:wp.
> Somehow, I don't see that this would necessarily be an acceptable result.

sr/hr is not the main issue (usually, the same vandals and trolls are
blocked on both Wikipedias); the main issue are POV pushers on en.wp
who are spreading their own POV on their own, smaller projects; and,
consequently, building heavy POV community; as well as unacceptable
behaviors of some other communities -- which are completely out of the
scope of WM goals.

Lodewijk: All great ideas were unacceptable at the beginning :)))