[Foundation-l] Wikipedia songs

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:00:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 12:48 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/01/2008, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> > Erik Moeller wrote:
> > > Our IT manager, Rob Halsell, came over to San Francisco this weekend
> > > to set up the phones in the new Wikimedia Foundation offices. We're
> > > switching to an open source telephony solution based on Asterisk.
> > > Obviously, every phone system needs "on hold" music.
> > There's nothing obvious about that unless your intention is to annoy
> > people.  A lot of this elevator music makes me want to hang up.  The
> > upbeat stuff is the worst.  If people must endure this kind of torture
> > make it low volume Gregorian Chant or meditation music.
>
> The Free Software Song is the obvious choice.

Nah, RFA song is fine. It will go great with the replacement of the
foundation logo with Wikipetan.

Since the Free Software Song is based on a Bulgarian folk song ([[Sadi
Moma]]) it might be perceived as too educational by the majority of
the (English speaking) callers. Next you'll be suggesting that we take
the lead paragraphs from Spoken Wikipedia articles
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Spoken_Wikipedia)
and adding "To learn more about X see visit Wikipedia"... What do you
think we are? An encyclopedia?

;)