[Foundation-l] A letter to Wikipedia collides with the non-free content policies

Remember the dot rememberthedot at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 05:35:48 UTC 2008

I'm hoping for clarification by the foundation on whether or not
by-permission-only works like this may be used. This could soften Jimbo
Wales' previous statement that every image used by permission only must be
deleted immediately (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2005-May/023760.html), which
would be a big deal. It would place the decision squarely back in the hands
of the English Wikipedia.

It's not that I'm whining that the foundation come to the rescue and tell us
what to do. It's that the foundation has given us an ambiguous statement on
when it is and is not OK to use non-free content. That statement could all
too easily be unilaterally interpreted to forbid any relaxation of the
English Wikipedia's non-free content policy. This has actually happened in
the past:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3ANon-free_content&diff=130081453&oldid=130064409
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Non-free_content&diff=next&oldid=130081453

and I would really like for it to not happen in the future.

--
Remember the dot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Remember_the_dot