[Foundation-l] 1.6 Billion USD to spare? How about liberationof some pictures

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 04:43:35 UTC 2008

Yes and what I am saying isn't utterly false either. I see caption credit as
a great mistake to be avoided.

A convenient way to comply with mandatory crediting is via caption, this is
true. On a news article you typically can't click on the image  as that is
extra code and hassle. Wikipedia does not have such restrictions. Also
typically 'news' is on a format you lack a mouse all together (aka printed
on paper).

On wikipedia our images undergo many edits and etc. More than one single
person owns credit. Contributing to wikipedia, wikinews or commons for the
sake of self promotion feels like a conflict of interest to me. Such a goal
is not inline with the goal of ''free encyclopedia''

As for corporate donation thing to spam, I do not believe that will not
happen. Wikipedia will no longer be free (as in freedom) if we start
allowing corporations to dictate or manipulate our content for a price. Such
a thing would actually be in conflict with NPOV among other things.

If corporations are willing to release their work with a free license thats
fine, however we should not be selling our souls for that. Wikipedia is not
an advertisement site and contribution of any kind for the sake of spamming
is unwelcome.

Also I seriously doubt corporations such as Microsoft that practically is
terrified of free-licenses to release anything with a free license.