[Foundation-l] 1.6 Billion USD to spare? How about liberation of some pictures

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:52:20 UTC 2008

Majority of our readers do not come to wikipedia for our credit info. They
come to wikipedia to read about encyclopedic articles. We are an
encyclopedia we expect people to come here seeking an encyclopedia. Please
do not misinterpret what I said, citation is required per license and it
must be done. However it is impractical to do so in in-line text.

Also consider the case of 'User:Can't sleep, clown will eat me' say he
uploads 20 images for an article. The phrase 'Can't sleep, clown will eat
me' would be mentioned 20 times in the article. Now consider a username that
may imply an inflammatory remark when used in an article.

If you are going to 'credit' every image, why are you not crediting each
edit individually? You have the 'history' link to credit individual edits
and the 'image link' to credit the author(s) of that particular image. All
credit info is one click away.

So inline crediting can cause problems... Inline crediting brings wikipedia
absolutely no benefit whatsoever aside from being free advertisements to the
authors.