[Foundation-l] 1.6 Billion USD to spare? How about liberation of some pictures

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:38:07 UTC 2008

On 23/01/2008, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> (.. and, as you should be aware, the word "namespace" has meaning
> outside of mediawiki. I was not saying that multiple tag namespaces
> need to be accomplished with actual MW namespaces, language prefixes
> on tags automatically defaulted by the software, or some other
> mechanism would work.)

So we'd have tags like "fr:chat", "en:cat", etc, and then some
software backend which tells us that those two are equivalent, in much
the same way as it would record that "World War II" and "Second World
War" are equivalent phrases?

Seems sensible. Has anyone implemented multilingual tagging like this?
I know of examples of the latter kind (merging synonymous tags), but
not of an explicitly multilingual one... the best example I can think
of doesn't distinguish between tags by language and lumps them all
together, so "cat" and "cats" and "chat" and so on will all be merged,
but this causes real problems for multilingual homonyms.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk