[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] 1.6 Billion USD to spare? How about liberation of some pic...

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:11:38 UTC 2008

> > How can we expedite any number of processes so that people get what they
> > want, and quickly?

> RSS of categories or tags? This means making categories or tags much
> easier. I try to remember to categorise my Commons uploads, but it's
> more work than it should be just to find the right category.

Category RSS exists.
e.g. <http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/catfood.php?category=Felis_silvestris_catus>
This link is inserted into the toolbox, via JS, for all users.
Yes it would be better to have it integrated but for endusers this
solution works as transparently as an integrated version would.

BTW I recommend you turn something on in Special:Preferences > Gadgets
called "Hotcat". It makes this ajaxy thing on all image pages and as
you start typing a category name it lists the existing categories.
mega cool.
screenshot: <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:HotCat.png>
(We are working on a new upload form which will have this integrated
in it for all users, e.g.
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Upload?withJS=MediaWiki:UploadForm.js>)

There are many improvements that could and should be made to MediaWiki
to better support a wiki where the basic unit is a media file, which
should be equally accessible in as many languages as there are
Wikipedias, and a good search result may throw up dozens of equally
valid results, not just one.

We are repeatedly running up against the limits of trying to create a
structured database using a freeform wiki.

I have the impression that the developers and the Board are somewhat
aware of Commons' wishes and concerns (although naturally no one makes
any promises :)) and when the new software developers are hired I hope
and believe our requests may start to be seriously considered.

In general I share Florence's wish for a MediaWiki roadmap to be
developed during this year.

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/