[Foundation-l] more thoughts on openness and collaborative media

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Tue Jan 22 17:47:38 UTC 2008

In a message dated 1/22/2008 9:20:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dgerard at gmail.com writes:

I saw a  fair few (I have a Google Alert for "wikipedia" on news and
blogs) which  said we were working on it with them (which we are) and
that WikiEducator  was not a Wikimedia site (which I got into the press
release at the last  moment). The coverage did IMO imply it was closer
than it  is.
Yes it did, didn't it?

But  as I noted in my message earlier today, web-based collaborative
video  editing is a big and important idea, and the technical work is
non-trivial,  so encouraging efforts to make a free software version
are arguably a  reasonable thing to lend our good name to, even if it's
not likely to come  to Wikimedia sites in the near or even medium
future. Kaltura seem non-evil  to me so far, FWIW.
I don't think anyone is saying it is evil. And while I may agree that we
should be lending our good name, though I would probably start with an
established company like RedHat, which can be mutually advantageous.  Startups are so
iffy ...

Danny