[Foundation-l] Seeking clarification

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:01:57 UTC 2008

[snip]
On Jan 22, 2008 9:39 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> The notion that one project should not and can not compete
> with another is false anyway. Both Wikipedia and Wikinews do news.
[/snip]

I don't think the relationship between Wikipedia and Wikinews on the topic of
news coverage is exactly a fair example of "competition." Let's take a random
subject: 2008 Riots in XYZ country. We'd expect both Wikinews and Wikipedia
to cover this topic; however, from two different angles.

Wikipedia should cover the overall encyclopedic topic (ie: the event, what lead
up to it, causes, effects, background information, additional information etc).
This being said, Wikinews should be covering it from a /news/ perspective.
What's going on, how does it affect you, what are people saying about it, etc.
This isn't competition, but rather two different coverages of the same
topic from
two different perspective.

I think the issues being raised about the similarities between Wikiversity and
WikiEducator (and I thank those who gave further information, it was very
enlightening). The semantics of mentioning students in their target
vision aside,
I believe the projects are two very closely aligned, and can benefit
greatly from
quite a bit of inter-wiki cooperation. However, I still wonder why
we'd be supporting
WikiEducator publicly without seeming to give Wikiversity much help at all (it
always, along with WikiSpecies, seemed like the red-headed-stepchild of the
Foundation's projects from my perspective).

Always,
Chad