[Foundation-l] Fwd: Tokipona

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 22:42:17 UTC 2008

I'm not sure what the huge problem would be with an ancient language
if it met all of the other requirements - enough activity, ISO code,
translated interface, enough dedicated users.

Aren't we going through that with grc: right now? And why couldn't we
leave that open for the future with other ancient languages as well?

Another thing that worries me is that if Coptic does eventually meet
all other requirements, it will fail to be recognized as a modern
language although it does have native speakers according to certain
sources, because I *believe* it is classed in the ISO as ancient.

Mark

On 21/01/2008, Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) <pathoschild at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Existing projects in ancient languages are holdovers from before the
> language subcommittee was set up, when wikis were created after open
> (and often fiercely problematic) votes on Meta. The policy does not
> allow projects in ancient languages.
>
> We're discussing constructed languages in the subcommittee right now,
> so I think discussion on this list would be helpful feedback. (Should
> they be treated the same way as extinct natural languages, since they
> have no native users? If so, the normal requirements would apply and
> they'd need native users before they can be approved.)
>
> --
> Yours cordially,
> Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.