[Foundation-l] The problem with Flash

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 22:58:25 UTC 2008

On 20/01/2008, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Geni,
> We do not need Kaltura to do our localisation. Our own communities can and
> should do this. However, not even half of the languages we say we support
> have half of the most relevant messages translated. So when I write that
> there is a lot of work to do. We sure as hell have a lot of work to do.

So it is irrelevant to this thread.

> Is VLC media player or are the OGG tools capable of creating collaboratively
> a slide show ?

Sure doable with any non linear video editor. If you don't want to
transcode Cinelerra would be slight overkill but you could do it. This
assumes Theora of course Dirac would be more of a problem but we don't
support it at this time. Your other option would be .odp which we
don't support at the moment but should certainly be possible to
support.

If you are prepared to transcode it is technically possible to do with
non free tools.

> If not, what is your argument you are comparing things that
> cannot be compared.
>
> You missed the point. It is not them that should be proud, it is US that
> should be proud.

They got people running one of the top ten sites on the web to make at
least slightly supportive comments about them. I think they should be
proud

> We should be proud because our platform has the critical
> mass where it makes a difference, the critical mass that attracts talent. We
> should be proud, and be welcoming.

A verify step it traditional.

--
geni