[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Wikipedia Invites Users to Take Part in Open, Collaborative Video Experiment

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Sun Jan 20 00:21:38 UTC 2008

Ben McIlwain wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>> Ben McIlwain wrote:
>>> It strikes me that there are many *actually* free software projects that
>>> are already much closer to being usable for our purposes than Kaltura's
>>> product.  Why aren't we working with them instead of Kaltura?
>> This isn't a zero-sum game. There's no exclusive arrangement. There's no
>> "instead of" at issue.
>
> Nobody ever claimed anything to be zero sum (why'd you bring that up,
> anyway?).

"Why aren't we working with them instead of Kaltura?" Is an either-or
question. One or the other. But it's not one *or* the other -- we can
very well work with one *and* the other.

>  But it'd be absurd to deny that WMF has limited resources.
> Given our limited funds and manpower, we should be focusing on getting
> the best deals with those who already have proven free software products
> that we could be using, not some company who might vaguely, at some
> point in the future, come up with something usable.

It seems to me that the majority of "resources" at issue consists of
time spent in this mailing list thread.

In the *actual* project, we're simply sitting back and saying "neat!
make it more open!"

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)