[Foundation-l] Religion and conversion and evangelism

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 22:31:34 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 8:25 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Movements expand, I think, when they welcome potential converts at
> least as much as they test them. I suspect that anyone here who has a
> criticism of Kaltura would find that, if he or she directed their
> criticisms directly to Shay David at Kaltura rather than the
> Foundation for daring to think that Kaltura might be converted, he or
> she would find that Shay is actually quite interested in addressing
> (and fixing) whatever problems you address.

It is worth serious consideration as to whether Kaltura represents a
serious "potential convert", something that you are taking for
granted. The current evidence (at least as much as I have seen) seems
to indicate that kaltura is a "convert" to the open content/software
movement only just enough to launch a publicity stunt. Wikipedia
represents a significant promotional opportunity for them or any
company, and I personally would lie a little bit to get my companies
foot in the door there.

Companies are in the business of making money, and Kaltura is only
working with us to the extent that it provides them financial benefit.
We would be wise not to read altruism in the actions of for-profit
companies.

--Andrew Whitworth