[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Invites Users to Take Part in Open, Collaborative Video Experiment

Jay A. Walsh jwalsh at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 18 20:07:30 UTC 2008

Simultaneous send to wikitech-l, foundation-l, and commons-l

Hi folks,

Yesterday the Wikimedia Foundation, Kaltura, and WikiEducator made a
combined announcement about our beta collaborative video project.  You
can see the announcement here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Invites_Users_to_Take_Part_in_Open%2C_Collaborative_Video_Experiment

The Foundation has set up a landing page here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Collaborative_Video

with more background and information.  We'll keep it updated regularly.

WikiEducator has done the same here:

http://wikieducator.org/Help:Collaborative_video

with specific instructions on how to participate in the beta.

Through this project the parties will be able to explore the potential
for developing open-source, collaborative video or slideshows for the
Foundation's projects.  Collaborative video is simply a collection of
images, video, and sound edited and combined by one or more collaborators.

The technology, which many of you may already be familiar with, will be
demonstrated on WikiEducator - which is not a WMF project. Those of us
involved in the Wikimedia Foundation projects will have a chance to
examine the software, test its limits, and ultimately improve our
ability to bring multi-media, free knowledge content to our users.  We
recognize that Kaltura's software and interface are still not 100%
open-source, and as such the technology will not appear on any
Foundation projects until we've worked through some of the technical
challenges - which is where you come in.

Kaltura has released their code to the open-source community to help
this project along. It's available on SourceForge,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kaltura .

We're excited that an innovative,  private business has taken strong
initiative in embracing open-source development.

You're invited to examine the code, test the technology as it exists on
WikiEducator, and help us bring this functionality to the Wikimedia
Foundation projects over the coming months.  You'll find a feedback
process on the WikiEducator landing page, and of course we fully welcome
discussion about the technology on the lists.

Thanks,

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications