[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation's partnership with Kaltuna and loss of freedom

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 22:11:34 UTC 2008

On 17/01/2008, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 4:56 PM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > Vandalising elsewhere and being an upstanding citizen within the Wikimedia
> > Foundation do not go together. When the allegation is true that he did
> > vandalise Kaltuna, I have no interest nor respect for his opinion.
> > Thanks,
> >      GerardM
>
> The two are completely unrelated. So long as he behaves himself around
> here, It doesnt matter what he does elsewhere.

Of course it does. We're not in this to dish out justice, we're here
to generate and distribute free content. Someone who is disruptive
elsewhere is likely to be disruptive here and hinder us in achieving
our goals, so we should treat them pretty much the same as we treat
people who have already been disruptive here. It's important to be
mindful of the details - in some cases, there might be something more
going on than simple vandalism (I don't know the details of this
case), but I see see no problem in using all the information we have
at our disposal in making decisions.