[Foundation-l] TOR Nodes

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 23:15:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 10:07 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are many who disagree with it due to the 1% of good people using
> anon or open proxies, but it's basically en:wp policy due to the 99%
> sewage opening them or softblocking them results in.

David, "opening them or softblocking them" implies that you think that
they are currently blocked on English Wikipedia.

In Tor's case, it's not. At least not mostly.

There are 1803 Tor exits in my middleman node's directory which are
able to reach at least one of the 5 IP/Ports which can be used to edit
Wikipedia.

Of those English Wikipedia currently blocks only 261.   14.4% is
higher than last time I checked... But since anyone using Tor can
manually select their exits (as opposed to the default random
selection) if they aren't all blocked Tor isn't blocked.

There have been two RFAs in the past for bots which would
automagically block and unblock Tor exits. But, ZOMG ADMIN BOT!!!!! IT
MIGHT GO CRAZY AND VANDALIZE!@#!@# NO!!! erm. I mean, the community
could not reach consensus on their adminships.

If TOR, the most visible, easily used, and easily blocked proxy
network is mostly unblocked... How good a job do you think we're doing
with respect to other open proxies?  Yet the wheels still grind on...