[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 08:56:44 UTC 2008

GerardM,

One out of twelve members (yourself) is not "several members", and the
only other member who commented politely provided their arguments in
favour of the additional localization without seeming "extremely
unhappy with Pathoschild's sorry show" or even suggesting that we
immediately restore your changes (as you just did).

You proposed your changes a few days ago without elaborating on their
significant difference from the current requirements, got a single
ambivalent support, and implemented them just 24 hours after your
proposal. I restored the previous version and politely requested on
langcom-l that we discuss it further before implementing, and provided
my arguments against it and a proposed compromise; instead of simply
arguing in favour of your version, you publicly accused me of making a
"sorry show", and privately of damaging the subcommittee, not grasping
the importance of localization, and dumbing down MediaWiki.

Whatever you may think of my opinions—or me of yours—, personal
attacks on private and public mailing lists are not the way to solve
disagreements. Referring to me in the third person, as if I were
excluded from the discussion, is not particularly constructive either.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)