[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 19:19:21 UTC 2008

Hoi,
With better tooling a better understanding comes. This happened and from
that moment we have been expressing the need for a full localisation of
MediaWiki and the localisation of the extensions usedd by the Wikimedia
Foundation. When we approve a project it takes something like two weeks from
the moment this process starts until we can announce that this is the case.
It would be unconscionable to deny at this stage.

I have been busy looking at projects in the last couple of days and I
pointed out what we expect of the proposed Japanese Wikiversity. If anything
I would expect the Japanese community to finish off this needed work even
without there being a requirement for this new project.

As to preferring European projects over Asian projects :) I do not think so.
It is rather the reverse for me personally, I would sooner apply positive
discrimination against the first world then against the others. Then again,
from an economic point of view, Japan is part of the first world.

Thanks,
    GerardM