[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 14:23:03 UTC 2008

Hoi,
I agree that it is unfair. I am asking others to help with the localisation.
I do ask the Spanish Wikimedians to do the localisation for their language.

Where I disagree is that it is unreasonable to require the full localisation
for any subsequent project to start. It is one of the few mechanisms that
the language committee has to ensure that projects in a language will be a
success. We require localisation and we require sufficient quality content
and sufficient activity so that we can prevent the failure of the many
projects we have seen in the past. When the localisation is done and the
project fails anyway there is at least something to show for the effort.

For another second project, one with little or no localisation, we got the
complaint that there may be no people that CAN do the localisation. The
person indicated that he is only a level-1 speaker of the language ... what
I ask myself is what the quality of the existing project is.

In a perfect world the localisation of MediaWiki is continuously maintained.
In this way a new project does not have to put effort to fulfill this
requirement. Some languages like Arab, Farsi, Dutch, Croat, Slovak, Upper
Sorbian to name only a few it is a perfect world.
Thanks,
      GerardM