[Foundation-l] Are we a club?

luke brandt shojokid at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 08:57:27 UTC 2008

Marc Riddell wrote:

>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> Here are a couple of links that are relevant to this topic, as well as
>> being relevant to some recent posts on the role of the Foundation. They
>> reference the idea of a membership driven community rather than a
>> 'top-down' organization. Maybe we've come full circle. It would be
>> helpful to hear from those who participated in the events described, as
>> well as Alex. Thanks
>>
>> http://freewikipedians.org/
>>
>> http://mywikibiz.com/User:AlexRoshuk
>>

> Thank you for this, Luke. History is becoming less and less of a mystery,
> and is making more and more sense of the present. The paths toward change
> are becoming clearer and clearer.
>
> Marc

Marc,

Someone said: from history to mystery - the reluctance to be born.

Or as someone more famous put it:

The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the
brains of the living.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1852/18th-brumaire/ch01.htm

Decisions taken on our behalf - taken by people who think they know best
- leading to more bureaucracy, less independence for individual
Wikimedia chapters.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters

Less diversity for no real advantage. What a sad trade-off, don't you
think. Doubly so, in the network/wiki age.

HUBRIS written in large letters, and we have to live with the
consequences: Endless discussions on perfecting our "organization" - *yuk*

Take care