[Foundation-l] Promoting #wikimedia-admin

mike.lifeguard mike.lifeguard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 01:19:13 UTC 2008

To complement an email that was sent to the stewards' list, here's a call
for bureaucrats to promote #wikimedia-admin when giving +sysop. The channel
is for cross-wiki coordination; that means dealing with cross-wiki vandalism
and spam as well as help with the tools for new sysops that may not have
someone readily available on their home wiki.

To gain access: any member of #wikimedia-admin can invite you (temporary)
and an op can give you an invite exemption (allows you to enter whenever you
want). Ops are: Az1568, Cbrown1023, Connel, Pathoschild (slavie), Shanel and
Slowking Man.

[[m:Template:Invite]] is a template (very new, so it may change) that you
can import and localize to let new admins know of this channel's existence,
what it's for and how to gain access.

While there are currently only ~15 admins in the channel, as more join, the
channel will be more effective, especially in terms of fighting cross-wiki
vandalism.

We currently have several languages represented; we hope more will be
available as admins join the channel. English, French, Spanish, Swedish,
Portuguese, Serbian, and German all have at least one speaker at 2 or
higher.

In the past, this channel has been dormant, nay, completely abandoned. It's
my hope that we can turn this into the useful tool for cross-wiki
coordination it was intended to be.