[Foundation-l] Rollbackersaurus attacks en.wiki

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:54:04 UTC 2008

A summary, for those who are completely lost:

Recently developers added the ability for admins on the English Wikipedia to
grant rollback rights to non-admin accounts.

This followed a large discussion and vote on enwiki in which ~2/3 of
participants favored this feature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Non-administrator_rollback/Poll
Unfortunately, 2/3 is a ambiguous standard for consensus on enwiki and
previous developer requests have been denied with higher standards of
support.

So now there is a large debate on enwiki about whether or not there was
consensus.  In the meantime, other people are moving full steam ahead with
Requests for Rollback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RFR) with
about 400 people having been given rollback rights so far through a variety
of informal and semi-formal processes.

There is also an arbitration request (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RFAr#Rollback_consensus) whose
arguments provide a variety of background.  Presently the enwiki Arbs seem
inclined to decline the arbitration request on the grounds that setting
policy is really a community issue and not a place for Arbcom dictates.

Personally, I think this is far more of a tempest in a tea cup than a real
major problem.  It appears to have spilled over here because some people
want the Foundation to order the developers to switch this new feature off.
While I can't speak for the Foundation, I would think those people would be
better served by talking to developers directly, or trying to come to some
resolution on enwiki itself.

-Robert Rohde