[Foundation-l] Community representation

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 15:18:18 UTC 2008

--- Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if I have the concept of a wikicouncil
> right either, but
> I imagine it as a good thing to get more project
> editors interested in
> (or at least aware of) "meta issues", foundation
> issues. Then what do
> they do after they are interested? The answer to
> that currently is
> "..."

You seem to imply that interest in meta issues should
be followed by actual volunteer participation outside
the wikis.  For me I always thought the old answer to
'then what becomes of meta-interested editors?' has
been that they became better managers of their local
wiki.  Full understanding of the "meta view" of free
content helps editors write better copyright policy
than if they were less informed.  The same is true of
any "meta issue".  Being aware of the methods and
goings on of other wikis helps editors make better
decisions and brings in new ideas about managing their
own communities.  If more of the involved discussion
of "meta issues" continues to be moved to private
lists and communication becomes more of after-the-fact
announcements, the deeper understanding on these
issues will more removed from the regular editors.
That understanding and the respect that follows for
what happens at the meta level will removed from the
regular editors.  This is what I am seeing.  A year
ago we likely talked about the problem of
meta-awareness and getting information to the editors
who don't speak English.  I remember a topic about how
bring people into the discussions of meta-issues who
may not speak English or be have the inclination to
track down what list exist and where they are.  Today
being interested and speaking English isn't enough to
secure input into such discussions.

In another thread, Mike Goodwin said WMF can't be a
club anymore and the concerned feelings come from
those who miss the club.  I find this completely
off-base.  WMF is *becoming* a club now.  In the past
it was more like a trading center.  One of those old
towns on a busy cross-roads where every day was market
day.  People came from all-over and shared ideas,
stories, and opinions.  And we celebrated the
diversity of the wikis and the different methods taken
towards a common goal. Only recently has a club
membership been required.  I am not interested in
joining a club.  I want en.WS to be great.  In the
very begining, I joined this list in order to have a
heads-up and maybe some input on issues that would
affect the success of en.WS.  Announcements about the
decisions made by members of the WMF club are fine.
Receiving the WMF club talking points on issues the
affect en.WS is fine.  But please don't pretend it
will help make en.WS, or any wiki, great.

Someone who posts too much suggested the example of
ru.WB may not be representative.  While it is extreme
one as far as actions taken, please give me the
benefit of my long experience here and assume I would
not pick an anomaly as an example of the underlying
feelings. Seriously the relationship between the
foundation and the wikis is largely untested.  If push
ever comes to shove, I imagine it will more often be
technical limitations rather than any real feeling of
a relationship or shared goals with WMF that will
prevent forks.

Birgitte SB