[Foundation-l] WMF Development and Memes

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 9 01:53:44 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell writes:

> In particular Wikimedia appears to be suffering from a massive
> collapse in it's ability to communicate.  This was especially apparent
> to me on the fundrasing committee mailing list, but I think it is
> apparent to anyone who has been involved deeply in this organization.

I've only been involved with the Foundation since June (only employed
since July), and in my view, based on experience with other nonprofits
that have gone through growing pains, what you're seeing is not "a
massive collapse" but the long-term recovery from institutional
problems that are not unusual in growing organizations.

> I can't recall a recent conversation about Wikimedia, with staff,
> board members, deeply involved volunteers, or casual contributors
> alike where someone wasn't surprised by something going on.

I'm not sure why this should be troubling in itself.  Every time an
organization becomes successful and starts to grow, it becomes
impossible for the original "members of the club" to know everything
that's going on.  This is not particularly invidious -- in fact, it's
quite normal, even if it's discomforting.  We can't be a club anymore
(and haven't been able to be one for quite some time).

> I hope that the causes of my recent disappointment are transitory
> growing pains,  because I would be deeply saddened to see such a
> worthwhile mission impeded by institutional malfunction.

I don't think the Foundation has failed quite yet, Greg.  What I
actually suspect you're feeling is the shockwave of changes that
mostly were necessary. Change in the context of huge success and
growth is uncomfortable -- take it from someone who's been through
this kind of organizational development stage a few times before I got
here. The first time I experienced (at EFF) I was hugely pessimistic
about everything that was changing.  After the next couple of waves of
change happened and the world didn't end (and indeed we got better at
what we were doing), I didn't stop worrying (I still worry about
everything even now), but I lost my overall pessimism. In my view,
we're doing way better than EFF was when EFF was this far along.

But there are things that cannot be changed unilaterally, even by the
most successful Foundation management team you can imagine.  And
that's the extent to which memes that undercut the potential of the
Foundation and its projects are spread by people who mean well.  For
example, if you're "surprised" by something you hear in a
conversation, you may infer (and spread the meme of) lack of
transparency or dishonesty or whatever.  But most people who are
involved in all this stuff we're doing aren't dishonest -- they are,
in fact, idealistic and trying to be helpful. After things get big
enough, it's harder to keep everything "transparent"  (for example,
there may be legal constraints on what you can disclose in the
interests of transparency when you're dealing with employment-law
issues), but that doesn't mean people value transparency any less.
Recognizing this is something the whole community has to do jointly --
it can't be imposed or generated by even the most well-meaning
competent Foundation you can imagine.

If we're sufficiently jaded, I suppose, we can dispense with the
Assume Good Faith counter-meme, which I think was designed to remind
us that the great majority of us mean well, are honest, etc.  But I
hope you aren't ready to toss it just yet.

I'll close by saying something I've noted before, which is that we
have created a culture of *editors* here -- people who look at
everything anyone says or writes with a critical eye -- and so we've
built in a cultural predisposition to think things are going badly and
need to be improved or reformed.   I ask that you be aware of this
cultural predisposition (I suffer from it myself), because I think too
much pessimism in our culture can turn into a self-fulfilling
prophecy.  We can do better than that, IMHO.

Sorry for the meme-centrism of this discussion, but it's been my
paradigm for a long time now.  (See, e.g., <http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/2.10/godwin.if_pr.html
 >.)

--Mike