[Foundation-l] Litigation costs

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 12:26:23 UTC 2008

Robert Rohde writes:

>  Obviously, we don't want to press law suits when we are in the
> wrong, but we
> also shouldn't be shying away from legally permissible fair use simply
> because we are afraid that every so often there will be a fight over
> it.  I
> am oft-reminded that man has only those freedoms that he is prepared
> defend.  Well, fair use is one of those freedoms, and in such
> circumstances
> that invoking fair use is a necessary and justified means of improving
> Wikipedia/Wikimedia, we should be willing to defend that right.

Then I think the obvious next question is, how much money (in dollars
or Euros) should we be willing to allocate every year to the defense
of cases we believe we will likely win?  Or, to put it another way,
how much of our budget (in percentages) should we be willing to
allocate every year to the defense of cases we believe we will win?

I assume because of your position as stated here you believe we should
be willing to spend all the money we now have (or more) in doing so,
because to do anything less would be an unacceptable compromise.

--Mike