[Foundation-l] State of technology: 2007

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Mon Jan 7 20:22:43 UTC 2008

Domas Mituzas a écrit :
<snip>
>> Any offers of support from multiple really big donated hosting places?
>
> The big problem is that it has to have hardware - lots of it - to
> support our cached data set, and if you try to disperse it over
> multiple datacenters, really complex problems start like how to
> balance the requests so they go to datacenter which would have that
> data. Stuff like 'lets have french go here, germans there' adds lots
> of administrative work - from maintaining all the platform, to
> actually troubleshooting.

What about getting sponsored by Akamai ? :o)

> Generally, more datacenters are there, more probably we'll miss
> problems. This was especially seen by moving Asian languages to Asia
> - by having platforms we manage less than Tampa we'd eventually end
> up with them working slower, more errors, etc. <snip>

One problem is that you can not monitor an application by just using
logfiles. You want scripts to check your application servers works as
intended, trigger warnings when performances are going lower than
expected ... Nagios Ganglia is a first step, you might want more :o)

Having clusters in 3 differents places is no more different that 3
clusters in the same room. You still have to manage 3 entities. I must
agree it is usually easier to handle stuff at the same place (1 guy
there, file transfers with 10Gb, easier to switch a server from a
cluster to another).

<snip>

--
Ashar Voultoiz