[Foundation-l] Human judgment

Guillaume Paumier guillom.pom at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 15:44:43 UTC 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 4:23 PM, Samuel Henderson <samueljhenderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the people who are charged by the WMF community with project stewardship
> do not feel that their own judgment is good enough to handle serious
> problems in a moment of crisis, then that is a very serious problem which
> threatens the WMF's entire model of governance.

Oh, please. There is no "crisis". You need to take a step back, look
at the subject from a broader perspective and treat it
dispassionately. There is a sysop on a tiny project feeling himself at
home. Yes, he is abusing his tools. In a few days, the RfC on meta
will certainly lead to the decision of his desysoping. What "crisis"
is there?

Furthermore, stewards have absolutely nothing to do with "WMF's entire
model of governance". They are servants of the community, neither
ubersysops, nor cops or judges. Yes, we have human judgment, hence the
possible emergency desysoping of someone getting on a deletion rampage
or whatever. But I maintain this particular situation on the
Russian-language Wikibooks is *not* a crisis. It is a serious problem,
but there is absolutely no emergency in it. It doesn't mean we should
not take care of it. It only means writing emails on a mailing list
asking for emergency desysoping by stewards doesn't help resolving it.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]