[Foundation-l] The WikBack

Matthew Britton matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 5 00:07:54 UTC 2008

--- David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/01/2008, Matthew Britton
> <matthew.britton at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > Ah, just what we need... another Wikipedia Review.
> Great.
>

> The *idea* of a Wikipedia Review and the stated
> intentions of the
> existing thing of that name are lovely. It's just such a
> pity the
> existing one's a den of trolls, stalkers, spammers and
> the gibbering
> insane founded by a neo-Nazi.
>
> A forum is a different thing to talk on. Maybe it'll
> work.

Contributors who feel that their opinions are not being
heard on the wiki seek out alternative ways to do so.

IRC channels, off-wiki discussion forums, mailing lists,
whatever... whatever their initial intentions may be, serve
as refuge for trolls and disruptive users.

It happened to #wikipedia-en-admins, it happened to
#wikipedia. It happened to WikiEN-l. It happened to
Wikitruth and Wikipedia Review (whether by design or not,
you decide). And it will happen to that site, simple as
that. I wish it weren't true, but it is.

-Gurch