[Foundation-l] The foundations of the Wikimedia Foundation (was: Wikimedia Council)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 21:03:20 UTC 2008

> I am not sure I quite agree. The local arbitrators on say the Portuguese
> wikipedia might not have been chosen for their familiarity with minor
> languages in the (former and current) Portuguese colonies, just as an
> example, which a putative meta arbcom team with a working language
> of Portuguese, might quite easily be.

I guess that all depends on what responsibilities the meta-arbcom
would have, which I don't think has been decided on. If it's primarily
arbitrating disputes (as the name would suggest), the skills needed
are much the same regardless of the nature of the dispute.

> I don't quite see how a pure english language meta-arbcom would be
> truer.

It wouldn't be an English Language arbcom, it would an arbcom that
uses English as a lingua franca. That's the only way to allow people
from different languages to work together to resolve issues, which I
think would be a good feature of a central arbcom.