[Foundation-l] Allemanic and Albanian - conditional approval for Gheg

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 14:04:15 UTC 2008

This strange Ethnologue... What is Albanian? What is Ghegh? What is Tosk?

Standard Albanian seems to be a "revised form of Tosk", in any case a
written Tosk.

Will we have a Wikipedia written in Tosk? I don't think so. Will we
have a spoken Wikipedia in Tosk? I don't think so.

If you read in detail Ethnologue
(http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=als) you can see
some confusion: "Language use -> Official language. It is used in
schools." I know that Albanian is the official language of Albania and
not the Tosk. Is there some little usual confusion of Ethnologue?

Il could be a misundersting but about the Gheg
(http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=aln) I can read:
"Language use -> Official regional language in Kossovo. Vigorous.
Books are published in Gheg. Restrictions on Albanian at Kossovo's
university since 1990."

It's not a misunderstanding for Ethnologue Albanian=Tosk. But the ISO
code are generated without any consideration and we have magically als
for Tosk and sqi for Albanian. I am a little bit confused: the
official language of Albania is it the Tosk or the Albanian, or the
two languages are the same language?

IMHO sqi=als and Albanian Wikipedia is sufficient to include Tosk.

Ilario