[Foundation-l] Allemanic and Albanian - conditional approval for Gheg

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:48:50 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Currently the Allemannic Wikipedia is known under the name als.wikipedia.org.
This code is wrong as the code is reserved for Tosk, the main Albanian
language. We are about to give Gheg, another Albanian language conditional
approval. As it will be hard to explain to some why we give Tosk conditional
approval, it is decidedly awkward that Allemanic is using the wrong code.

I want to propose that the Allemanic Wikipedia is renamed to
gsw.wikipedia.org and thereby associate the language with the correct
ISO-639 code. The rename is opposed by people in the Allemanic Wikipedia
because they do not agree with how their language is perceived.
However, gsw<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=gsw>has
Alemannisch as a synonym for Schwyzerdütsch and it is therefore
obvious
that the same language is meant.

Given that there was no contention in the language committee, the request
for a Gheg Wikipedia is given conditional approval.

Thanks,
     GerardM